About Glyceryl Stearate
All products are for external use only
Free shipping notes: 40 Lb Bag in Box
40 Lb Bag in box ships free in lower 48 continental states. Soapgoods Inc reserves the right to ship free shipping items via any carrier.
- Synonyms: Glyceryl Stearate, Stearin, Glycerol stearate, pure; 1-mono-; (1)-2,3-Dihydroxypropyl stearate; Glyceryl MonoStearate, or GMS, Stearin, 1-mono- (8CI); Octadecanoic acid, 2,3-dihydroxypropyl ester
- INCI Name: Glyceryl stearate
- CAS: 86904-15-6
- Einecs: 250-705-4
- Grade: n/a
- Viscosity: Flaky Solid
- Solublity: Soluble in oil.
- Storage: Cool, dark dry area, air tight container preferred
- Appearance: White to cream colored, solid flakes
- Odor: Low to no odor
- Natural: Natural, from a natural vegetable source.
- Packaging: 1 Lbs is a single bag, 4 Lb is a single bag, 16 lb is 4 x 4 lb bag. 50 lb is a box or bag
- Shelf life: Suggested retest date 1 year from purchase
Usage / Benefits
- Industries: Cosmetics, Personal care, Skincare, Hair care, Food, Pharmaceutical, Industrial lubricants.
- Applications: Lotions and Creams, Moisturizers, Sunscreen Products, Hair Care Products (such as conditioners and detanglers), Makeup Foundations and Primers, Shaving Creams, Cleansers and Body Washes, Anti-aging Treatments, Lipsticks and Lip Balms, Eye Shadows and Mascara, Baby Care Products
- Benefits: Emollient properties, Skin hydration, Improved product consistency, Enhanced formulation stability, Non-greasy feel on skin, Acts as a thickening agent, Helps to form a protective barrier on the skin, Reduces moisture loss from the skin, Easily absorbed, Compatible with a range of ingredients, Gentle on the skin, Biodegradable.
- Products Uses: Emollient in Skin Care Products (such as lotions, creams, and moisturizers), Stabilizer in Cosmetics (such as foundations, primers, eyeshadows), Thickening Agent in Hair Care Products (like shampoos and conditioners), Opacifying Agent in Body Washes and Cleansers, Texture Enhancer in Sunscreen Products, Consistency Regulator in Shaving Creams, Conditioning Agent in Lip Balms and Lipsticks, Skin Softening Agent in Baby Care Products, Emulsifier in Anti-aging Treatments
- Safety: Generally safe, however keep out of eyes and do not eat.
- Cautions: Not for ingestion, keep away from pets and children who may attempt to eat.
- External Use Only: Even if food grade, we do not provide items for ingestion, all of our items are for external use only.
In the vast world of cosmetics and personal care ingredients, Glyceryl Stearate stands as an unsung hero, delivering consistency, protection, and hydration in a myriad of products. Although not often spotlighted by brands, this ingredient plays a pivotal role in the texture, feel, and overall performance of countless formulations.
Understanding Glyceryl Stearate
Glyceryl Stearate is a naturally derived fatty acid, primarily sourced from palm kernel and soy oil. At a molecular level, it's an ester of glycerin and stearic acid. In its pure form, it appears as a waxy, white substance that's odorless and possesses a slightly sweet taste. However, its significance in the personal care industry is not due to its taste or appearance, but its incredible functionality and versatility in formulations.
Key Benefits in Personal Care
The cosmetic and personal care realm has embraced Glyceryl Stearate for its multitude of benefits:
- Emollient Properties: It softens and soothes the skin, making products feel luxurious upon application.
- Hydration: By forming a barrier on the skin's surface, it minimizes moisture loss, ensuring hydration is locked in.
- Improved Consistency: It lends a creaminess to formulations, making them more spreadable and pleasant to use.
- Enhanced Stability: As a co-emulsifier, it assists in stabilizing oil-in-water emulsions, preventing ingredient separation.
- Non-Greasy Feel: Despite its moisturizing capabilities, it doesn't leave a heavy or greasy residue on the skin.
Role in Soap Making
Handcrafted soaps, celebrated for their unique compositions and benefits, often incorporate Glyceryl Stearate. While saponification remains the primary process in soap making, the addition of ingredients like Glyceryl Stearate can elevate the soap's characteristics. Here, it functions to:
- Boost Opacity: Lends a creamy and luxurious opacity to transparent soap bases.
- Enhance Texture: Contributes to a smoother and creamier lather, making the soap more pleasurable to use.
- Moisturization: Reduces the potentially drying effects of some soaps, ensuring the skin remains hydrated post-use.
Presence in Cosmetic Formulations
Cosmetics, ranging from daily wear to high-end formulations, often rely on Glyceryl Stearate for various purposes:
- Texture Enhancement: Be it in foundations, primers, or BB creams, it helps achieve the right consistency, ensuring easy application and blendability.
- Barrier Formation: In products like lipsticks or concealers, it can form a protective barrier, ensuring longevity and reduced smudging or feathering.
- Moisturization: In products that promise hydration, like tinted moisturizers, it delivers on that promise, ensuring skin feels supple and hydrated.
Environmental and Sensory Considerations
With a growing emphasis on environmentally friendly ingredients, Glyceryl Stearate scores well due to its biodegradability. Its natural origin ensures it's gentle on the skin, reducing the likelihood of irritations or allergic reactions. Sensory attributes, like the feel, touch, and spreadability of a product, are increasingly influential in consumer choices. Here, Glyceryl Stearate shines, transforming formulations into sensorial delights.
Glyceryl Stearate Uses
Glyceryl Stearate is a multifunctional ingredient found in various cosmetic and personal care products. The following sections detail its diverse uses:
Emollient in Skin Care Products
Utilized in lotions, creams, and moisturizers, Glyceryl Stearate helps to soften and smooth the skin, providing a luxurious feel.
Stabilizer in Cosmetics
It acts as an emulsifying agent in foundations, primers, eyeshadows, ensuring a uniform and stable texture.
Thickening Agent in Hair Care Products
In shampoos and conditioners, Glyceryl Stearate contributes to the desired consistency, enhancing the overall user experience.
Opacifying Agent in Body Washes and Cleansers
Its ability to create a creamy texture and appearance makes it suitable for body washes, facial cleansers, and scrubs.
Texture Enhancer in Sunscreen Products
It helps to achieve the right texture and spreadability in sunscreen products, offering a pleasant application experience.
Consistency Regulator in Shaving Creams
In shaving creams and foams, Glyceryl Stearate ensures a rich and creamy consistency for a comfortable shaving experience.
Conditioning Agent in Lip Balms and Lipsticks
It provides conditioning and smoothness to lip products, contributing to a soft and supple feel on the lips.
Skin Softening Agent in Baby Care Products
Utilized in baby lotions and creams, it helps in softening and nurturing delicate skin, providing gentle care.
Emulsifier in Anti-aging Treatments
As an emulsifier, it helps in the formulation of anti-aging treatments, allowing for the integration of various ingredients for effective results.
Glyceryl Stearate Benefits
Glyceryl Stearate is a widely used ingredient with diverse applications in the cosmetic and personal care sectors. Its main benefits include:
As an emollient, Glyceryl Stearate helps in softening and soothing the skin, providing a smooth and luxurious feel to various skin care products.
It functions as an effective stabilizer in many formulations, ensuring consistency and preventing the separation of different components.
Glyceryl Stearate serves as a thickening agent, allowing manufacturers to control the viscosity and texture of products such as creams, lotions, and shampoos.
Enhancing Product Appearance
Its opacifying properties give products a rich and creamy appearance, enhancing the overall aesthetic appeal.
By modifying the texture of products, Glyceryl Stearate enhances their spreadability, making them easier to apply and distribute evenly on the skin or hair.
Its compatibility with various other ingredients and wide pH range adds to its versatility, making it suitable for different formulations and product types.
Safe and Gentle
Glyceryl Stearate is known for its gentle nature, making it suitable for sensitive skin applications, including baby care products.
Glyceryl Stearate and Hair Care
What is Glyceryl Stearate?
Glyceryl Stearate is an esterification product of glycerol and stearic acid. It's a lipid compound commonly found in cosmetic formulations and is used for its emulsifying properties, which helps to mix oil and water components.
Benefits for Hair
Moisturizing Properties: It acts as a lubricant on the hair surface, giving the hair a soft and smooth appearance.
Improved Product Consistency: Its emulsifying capabilities make it an essential ingredient in many hair products, ensuring a smooth and consistent texture.
Protective Barrier: Glyceryl Stearate can form a barrier on the hair shaft, preventing moisture loss and protecting against environmental damage.
Enhanced Shine: By smoothing the hair cuticle, it can impart a natural shine to the locks.
Common Hair Care Products Containing Glyceryl Stearate
Glyceryl Stearate can be found in a variety of hair care products, including:
Styling creams and gels
While Glyceryl Stearate is generally regarded as safe and beneficial for hair, it's always a good practice to check product labels, especially if one has specific hair or scalp conditions or sensitivities. Performing a patch test can also be a prudent step before using any new hair care product.
Glyceryl Stearate and Comedogenicity
Glyceryl Stearate is a commonly used ingredient in the cosmetic and personal care industry. Derived from glycerin and stearic acid, it functions primarily as an emulsifier and stabilizer in various formulations. But how does it fare in terms of comedogenicity, and what does that mean for those with acne-prone skin?
What is Comedogenicity?
Comedogenicity refers to the potential of a substance to cause comedones—skin blemishes such as blackheads and whiteheads. Products labeled as non-comedogenic are typically formulated to minimize the chances of clogging pores, which can lead to acne breakouts.
Is Glyceryl Stearate Comedogenic?
Glyceryl Stearate is generally considered to have low comedogenicity. This means that, for most people, it's unlikely to cause pore clogging or contribute to acne breakouts. However, individual reactions can vary. While Glyceryl Stearate may be safe for many, those with particularly sensitive or reactive skin might still experience issues.
Usage in Skincare Products
Given its low comedogenic rating, Glyceryl Stearate is frequently found in various skincare products including:
- Moisturizers: Helps in maintaining product consistency while offering hydration.
- Sunscreens: Acts as a stabilizer for the formulation.
- Makeup Products: Ensures a smooth application and finish.
While Glyceryl Stearate has a relatively low risk of clogging pores, it's essential for individuals, especially those with acne-prone or sensitive skin, to monitor their skin's reaction to any new product. It's always recommended to do a patch test when trying out new skincare or makeup products containing Glyceryl Stearate or any other ingredient.
Who is Soapgoods?
We are proud to present a diverse and extensive selection of soap making supplies including soap molds as well as melt and pour soap bases. Are you looking for something unique, something hard to find? Wondering Where to buy Witch Hazel Distillate - Alcohol Free? We are a fantastic source!
We carry it all and many other fantastic but hard to find items at great wholesale prices, we are the one-stop-shop, you can find everything you need here, even bulk Xanthan Gum Right here at Soapgoods
We know you have choices, that's why we work harder, providing better quality, faster shipping and a wide selection of items in practical sizes for any application. When you need to make a purchase and need it delivered quickly, look to us to provide you the service you need. We even have Wholesale Yogurt Powder, in small and large builds sizes, either way, you can get our best direct to consumer pricing. Plus we ship it out the next business days. and will ship the next business day.
Where else can you do all your shopping in one place? When you need to make a purchase and get it delivered quickly. Buy Zinc Oxide Powder? Right here
When you are looking for quality personal care products, cosmetics and soap making supplies, be sure to visit our online store for Acacia Gum Enjoy our premium quality ingredients and super fast shipping times.
Read our Real Reviews from Google and Bizrate
100% Real Reviews (we cannot edit, create or delete reviews) From Google, Click here -> Real SoapGoods Reviews
See more Real Reviews (we cannot edit, create or delete reviews) from Third Party Watchdog Bizrate Real SoapGoods Reviews (Click Here and Scroll Down)
Read hundreds of real testimonials from over a decade of service. SoapGoods Testimonials.
How Fast Can I get it?
We Guarantee Your order ships out the same or next business day! This means in the South East you will have your order in 1 to 3 business days, in the North East normally 3 to 4 days and in the West normally 4 to 5 days. For full details on shipping and processing times please see our expected delivery times.
These times are based on business days, not including weekends or holidays.
FedEx Delivery Map
USPS Delivery Map
Typical Delivery Times to Major US Cities
|Major Cities||Total Business Days +1 / -1|
|Alabama (AL) - Montgomery, Birmingham||1|
|Alaska (AK) - Juneau, Anchorage||7|
|Arizona (AZ) - Phoenix, Tucson||4|
|Arkansas (AR) - Little Rock, Fayetteville||2|
|California (CA) - Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento, San Jose||4|
|Colorado (CO) - Denver, Colorado Springs||3|
|Connecticut (CT) - Hartford, New Haven||2|
|Delaware (DE) - Dover, Wilmington, Newark||2|
|Florida (FL) - Tallahassee, Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, Destin||2|
|Georgia (GA) - Atlanta, Savannah, Augusta, Athens||1|
|Hawaii (HI) - Honolulu, Kailua||7|
|Idaho (ID) - Boise, Coeur d'Alene||4|
|Illinois (IL) - Springfield, Chicago, Peoria, Rockford||2|
|Indiana (IN) - Indianapolis, Fort Wayne||2|
|Iowa (IA) - Des Moines, Cedar Rapids||2|
|Kansas (KS) - Topeka, Wichita, Kansas City||2|
|Kentucky (KY) - Frankfort, Louisville, Lexington||2|
|Louisiana (LA) - Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Lafayette||2|
|Maine (ME) - Augusta, Portland, Bangor||3|
|Maryland (MD) - Annapolis, Baltimore||2|
|Massachusetts (MA) - Boston, Cambridge, Worcester||2|
|Michigan (MI) - Lansing, Detroit, Grand Rapids||2|
|Minnesota (MN) - St. Paul, Minneapolis, Duluth||3|
|Mississippi (MS) - Jackson, Biloxi, Hattiesburg||1|
|Missouri (MO) - Jefferson City, St Louis, Kansas City||2|
|Montana (MT) - Helena, Billings||4|
|Nebraska (NE) - Lincoln, Omaha||2|
|Nevada (NV) - Carson City, Las Vegas, Reno||4|
|New Hampshire (NH) - Concord, Manchester, Portsmouth||2|
|New Jersey (NJ) - Trenton, Newark, Jersey City||2|
|New Mexico (NM) - Santa Fe, Alburquerque||3|
|New York (NY) - Albany, New York, Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse, Niagara Falls, Ithaca||3|
|North Carolina (NC) - Raleigh, Charlotte||2|
|North Dakota (ND) - Bismarck, Fargo||3|
|Ohio (OH) - Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati||2|
|Oklahoma (OK) - Oklahoma City, Fairview,||2|
|Oregon (OR) - Salem, Portland, Eugene||5|
|Pennsylvania (PA) - Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh||2|
|Rhode Island (RI) - Providence, Newport||2|
|South Carolina (SC) - Columbia, Charleston||1|
|South Dakota (SD) - Pierre, Sioux Falls, Rapid City||3|
|Tennessee (TN) - Nashville, Memphis||2|
|Texas (TX) - Austin, Houston, Dallas||3|
|Utah (UT) - Salt Lake City, St. George||3|
|Vermont (VT) - Montpelier, Burlington||3|
|Virginia (VA) - Richmond, Virginia Beach||2|
|Washington (WA) - Olympia, Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane||5|
|West Virginia (WV) - Charleston, Morgantown||2|
|Wisconsin (WI) - Madison, Milwaukee||2|
|Wyoming (WY) - Cheyenne, Jackson||4|
Disclaimer: All product descriptions and specifications provided in this description are intended as a guide only and are subject to change without notice. While we strive for accuracy, discrepancies or errors may be present. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.