About Optiphen ND
- Synonyms: Optiphen ND
- INCI Name: Phenoxyethanol (and) Benzoic Acid (and) Dehydroacetic Acid
- CAS: 122-99-6; 1117-86-8
- Einecs: n/a
- Viscosity: Runny liquid
- Solublity: Optiphen ND is typically soluble in emollient ingredients and oils but is only sparingly soluble in water. When formulating, it's typically added to the oil phase or cool-down phase of the formulation process to ensure optimal incorporation.
- Storage: Cool, dark dry area, air tight container preferred
- Appearance: Clear liquid
- Odor: Low to no scent
- Natural: Synthetic, manufactured scientifically
- Packaging: .25 lbs is a single cylinder, 1 Lb is single container, 5 Lb is a single container, 15 lb is 3 x 5 lb. 44 lb is a single pail.
- Shelf life: Suggested retest date 1 year from purchase
Usage / Benefits
- Industries: Personal care, Cosmetics, Hair care, Skincare, Beauty, Bath and body, Suncare.
- Applications: Lotions, Creams, Hair care products, Body washes, Shower gels, Makeup products, Sunscreens, Shampoos, Conditioners, Serums, Skin cleansers.
- Benefits: Paraben-free, Formaldehyde-free, Broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity, Heat stable, Versatile compatibility, Green chemistry principles, Extended shelf life, Gentle on skin, Unaltered product characteristics, Suitable for diverse formulations.
- Products Uses: Preserving lotions and creams, Preventing microbial growth in hair care products, Extending shelf life of cosmetics, Protecting water-based formulations, Enhancing product safety in body washes and shower gels, Maintaining product integrity in makeup, Inhibiting yeast and mold growth in skincare products, Preventing bacteria proliferation in serums, Ensuring longer usability of skin cleansers, Acting as an antimicrobial in sunscreens.
- Safety: Generally safe, however keep out of eyes and do not eat.
- Cautions: Not for ingestion, keep away from pets and children who may attempt to eat.
- External Use Only: Even if food grade, we do not provide items for ingestion, all of our items are for external use only.
This complete preservative system is paraben free and does not contain formaldehyde releasers. It is effective against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria, yeast, and mold. The pH of finished formulations should be 6 or below for effective utilization of this preservative. Optiphen ND is approved for use worldwide.
As the cosmetic and personal care industries evolve, the demand for safe and efficient preservatives grows. Optiphen ND, a member of the Optiphen family, emerges as a popular choice among formulators due to its effectiveness and favorable profile.
Understanding Optiphen ND
Optiphen ND is a water-soluble, paraben-free preservative system designed to protect a wide range of personal care products from microbial contamination. Composed mainly of Benzyl Alcohol and Benzoic Acid, it's specifically crafted for products with a more aqueous composition, ensuring that water-rich products remain safe for consumers.
Why the Shift to Optiphen ND?
The increasing consumer awareness of potentially harmful ingredients in personal care products pushes manufacturers to seek out safer alternatives. Optiphen ND answers this call by being free from parabens and formaldehyde, two components often criticized for their potential health risks.
Applications in Personal Care
Due to its water-soluble nature, Optiphen ND stands out as a prime choice for a variety of aqueous personal care formulations.
- Facial Mists: With the rising trend of refreshing facial sprays, Optiphen ND ensures these aqueous solutions remain free from microbial contamination.
- Shampoos and Conditioners: These products, which have a significant water component, benefit from the protective properties of Optiphen ND.
- Body Washes and Shower Gels: The water-soluble nature of Optiphen ND makes it a suitable preservative for these cleansing products.
- Water-Based Serums: For serums that provide hydration and other benefits through water-based actives, Optiphen ND helps prolong shelf life.
Benefits for Formulators
Optiphen ND isn't just popular due to its safety profile; formulators appreciate its versatility and ease of use.
- Heat Stability: Its stable nature ensures it retains its efficiency, even during high-temperature production phases.
- Broad pH Compatibility: Optiphen ND is compatible with formulations in a wide pH range, making it suitable for diverse product types.
- No Impact on Formulation Aesthetics: Unlike some preservatives that can alter the scent or appearance of products, Optiphen ND ensures the end product remains as intended.
Soap and Cosmetic Making
DIY enthusiasts and small-scale crafters in the realm of soap and cosmetic making also recognize the benefits of Optiphen ND. Its ability to thwart a broad spectrum of bacteria, yeast, and mold is particularly appealing. Especially in handcrafted products that may lack the stringent manufacturing conditions of large-scale operations, the right preservative is crucial. Optiphen ND provides peace of mind, ensuring that these lovingly crafted items are safe for use and have an extended shelf life.
Optiphen ND Uses
Optiphen ND, a modern and versatile preservative system, is designed to protect a broad range of personal care products from microbial contamination. Its composition, primarily of Benzyl Alcohol, Benzoic Acid, and Dehydroacetic Acid, makes it especially useful in various applications. Below are the primary uses of Optiphen ND in personal care formulations:
1. Water-Based Formulations
Optiphen ND is water-soluble, making it an ideal choice for products that have a high water content or are entirely water-based. This includes:
- Facial mists and toners
- Shampoos and conditioners
- Body washes and shower gels
- Water-based serums and lotions
2. Hair Care Products
Given its mild nature and broad-spectrum antimicrobial properties, Optiphen ND is an excellent choice for hair care products, ensuring they remain uncontaminated and retain their efficacy over time. This category includes:
- Leave-in hair treatments
- Hair masks
- Styling gels and creams
3. Skincare Formulations
Optiphen ND's ability to function efficiently across a wide pH range makes it suitable for diverse skincare formulations. Some of these are:
- Moisturizers and creams
- Facial cleansers
- Exfoliating scrubs
- Eye creams
4. DIY Personal Care Products
For DIY enthusiasts and small-scale crafters in the cosmetic and soap-making domain, Optiphen ND offers protection against a broad spectrum of bacteria, yeast, and mold, ensuring handcrafted products remain safe and have an extended shelf life.
Optiphen ND Benefits
Optiphen ND is a globally accepted preservative that is designed for use in natural and 'green' formulations. It consists of Benzyl Alcohol, Benzoic Acid, and Dehydroacetic Acid. Being paraben-free and formaldehyde-free, it offers an excellent option for natural product lines. Below are the key uses of Optiphen ND in various applications.
Uses in Personal Care Products
Optiphen ND serves as a broad-spectrum preservative in personal care products, inhibiting the growth of bacteria, yeasts, and molds, thus extending the shelf life of the product.
Utilized in creams, lotions, and facial cleansers, Optiphen ND helps to maintain product integrity without interfering with the product's natural claims.
Optiphen ND is used in shampoos, conditioners, and styling products, offering protection against microbial contamination.
Uses in Cosmetic Products
As a preservative, Optiphen ND is used in foundations, mascaras, eyeliners, and other makeup products to ensure safety and stability.
In bath salts, oils, and bubble baths, Optiphen ND adds protection against microbial growth, keeping the products fresh and safe to use.
Natural and Organic Formulations
Optiphen ND is especially suitable for formulations that claim to be natural or organic, aligning with the growing consumer demand for clean and green beauty products.
Optiphen ND in Hair Products
Optiphen ND is a popular preservative used in a variety of cosmetic formulations. Its properties make it a preferred choice for many hair care products, ensuring product stability and longevity.
What is Optiphen ND?
Optiphen ND is a water-soluble, paraben-free, and formaldehyde-free preservative. Comprising a blend of phenoxyethanol and benzoic acid, it is effective against a wide range of microorganisms, making it a sought-after preservative in hair care formulations.
Benefits of Using Optiphen ND in Hair Products
The inclusion of Optiphen ND in hair care formulations offers several advantages:
- Wide Spectrum of Protection: Optiphen ND is effective against bacteria, yeasts, and mold, ensuring comprehensive product preservation.
- Paraben-Free: As concerns grow over potential health impacts of parabens, the fact that Optiphen ND is paraben-free makes it a preferred choice for many consumers and formulators.
- Heat Stability: It remains stable at high temperatures, making it suitable for various production processes.
- Compatibility: Optiphen ND is compatible with most ingredients used in hair care formulations, ensuring a harmonious blend without causing destabilization.
Considerations in Using Optiphen ND
While Optiphen ND offers numerous benefits, there are considerations to keep in mind:
- Concentration: It's essential to use the right concentration in formulations to ensure efficacy without risking potential side effects.
- pH Sensitivity: Optiphen ND works best in slightly acidic to neutral pH levels. Monitoring the pH of the formulation is crucial.
- Storage: Storing the product in cool, dry conditions can help in retaining its efficacy over time.
Optiphen ND is a versatile and effective preservative that fits well into the modern landscape of hair care product formulation. Its ability to ensure product safety and stability without the use of parabens makes it a valuable component in the hair care industry.
Optiphen ND vs. Optiphen
Both Optiphen ND and Optiphen are popular preservative systems used in cosmetic and personal care formulations to prevent microbial growth and extend product shelf life.
Optiphen ND is a water-soluble, paraben-free, and formaldehyde-free preservative. It's typically used in products that have a high water content. Some key points about Optiphen ND include:
- Composition: Contains Benzyl Alcohol, Benzoic Acid, and Dehydroacetic Acid.
- Solubility: Water-soluble.
- pH compatibility: Effective in products with a pH of 6 or lower.
- Application: Often used in lotions, creams, and other water-based formulations.
Optiphen is an oil-soluble, paraben-free, and formaldehyde-free preservative. It's used in a broader range of formulations than Optiphen ND. Some of its characteristics are:
- Composition: Typically consists of Phenoxyethanol and Caprylyl Glycol.
- Solubility: Oil-soluble, but can be used in emulsions or other formulations where it can be solubilized properly.
- pH compatibility: Effective in products with a broader pH range, usually up to 8.
- Application: Versatile; can be used in lotions, serums, creams, and other formulations, both water-based and anhydrous.
Choosing Between the Two
The decision between Optiphen ND and Optiphen largely depends on the specific needs of the formulation:
- Solubility: Opt for Optiphen ND for strictly water-based formulations and Optiphen for oil-based or broader formulations.
- pH: If the product's pH is above 6, Optiphen may be a better choice.
- Product Type: Consider the end product – creams, lotions, serums, etc., and choose the preservative that best aligns with the formulation characteristics.
Both preservatives should be added during the cool-down phase of the formulation process to retain their efficacy. As with all ingredients, they should be used at recommended dosages and following safety guidelines.
Who is Soapgoods?
We are proud to present a diverse and extensive selection of soap making supplies including soap molds as well as melt and pour soap bases. Are you looking for something unique, something hard to find? Wondering Where to buy Witch Hazel Distillate - Alcohol Free? We are a fantastic source!
We carry it all and many other fantastic but hard to find items at great wholesale prices, we are the one-stop-shop, you can find everything you need here, even bulk Xanthan Gum Right here at Soapgoods
We know you have choices, that's why we work harder, providing better quality, faster shipping and a wide selection of items in practical sizes for any application. When you need to make a purchase and need it delivered quickly, look to us to provide you the service you need. We even have Wholesale Yogurt Powder, in small and large builds sizes, either way, you can get our best direct to consumer pricing. Plus we ship it out the next business days. and will ship the next business day.
Where else can you do all your shopping in one place? When you need to make a purchase and get it delivered quickly. Buy Zinc Oxide Powder? Right here
When you are looking for quality personal care products, cosmetics and soap making supplies, be sure to visit our online store for Acacia Gum Enjoy our premium quality ingredients and super fast shipping times.
Read our Real Reviews from Google and Bizrate
100% Real Reviews (we cannot edit, create or delete reviews) From Google, Click here -> Real SoapGoods Reviews
See more Real Reviews (we cannot edit, create or delete reviews) from Third Party Watchdog Bizrate Real SoapGoods Reviews (Click Here and Scroll Down)
Read hundreds of real testimonials from over a decade of service. SoapGoods Testimonials.
How Fast Can I get it?
We Guarantee Your order ships out the same or next business day! This means in the South East you will have your order in 1 to 3 business days, in the North East normally 3 to 4 days and in the West normally 4 to 5 days. For full details on shipping and processing times please see our expected delivery times.
These times are based on business days, not including weekends or holidays.
FedEx Delivery Map
USPS Delivery Map
Typical Delivery Times to Major US Cities
|Major Cities||Total Business Days +1 / -1|
|Alabama (AL) - Montgomery, Birmingham||1|
|Alaska (AK) - Juneau, Anchorage||7|
|Arizona (AZ) - Phoenix, Tucson||4|
|Arkansas (AR) - Little Rock, Fayetteville||2|
|California (CA) - Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento, San Jose||4|
|Colorado (CO) - Denver, Colorado Springs||3|
|Connecticut (CT) - Hartford, New Haven||2|
|Delaware (DE) - Dover, Wilmington, Newark||2|
|Florida (FL) - Tallahassee, Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, Destin||2|
|Georgia (GA) - Atlanta, Savannah, Augusta, Athens||1|
|Hawaii (HI) - Honolulu, Kailua||7|
|Idaho (ID) - Boise, Coeur d'Alene||4|
|Illinois (IL) - Springfield, Chicago, Peoria, Rockford||2|
|Indiana (IN) - Indianapolis, Fort Wayne||2|
|Iowa (IA) - Des Moines, Cedar Rapids||2|
|Kansas (KS) - Topeka, Wichita, Kansas City||2|
|Kentucky (KY) - Frankfort, Louisville, Lexington||2|
|Louisiana (LA) - Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Lafayette||2|
|Maine (ME) - Augusta, Portland, Bangor||3|
|Maryland (MD) - Annapolis, Baltimore||2|
|Massachusetts (MA) - Boston, Cambridge, Worcester||2|
|Michigan (MI) - Lansing, Detroit, Grand Rapids||2|
|Minnesota (MN) - St. Paul, Minneapolis, Duluth||3|
|Mississippi (MS) - Jackson, Biloxi, Hattiesburg||1|
|Missouri (MO) - Jefferson City, St Louis, Kansas City||2|
|Montana (MT) - Helena, Billings||4|
|Nebraska (NE) - Lincoln, Omaha||2|
|Nevada (NV) - Carson City, Las Vegas, Reno||4|
|New Hampshire (NH) - Concord, Manchester, Portsmouth||2|
|New Jersey (NJ) - Trenton, Newark, Jersey City||2|
|New Mexico (NM) - Santa Fe, Alburquerque||3|
|New York (NY) - Albany, New York, Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse, Niagara Falls, Ithaca||3|
|North Carolina (NC) - Raleigh, Charlotte||2|
|North Dakota (ND) - Bismarck, Fargo||3|
|Ohio (OH) - Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati||2|
|Oklahoma (OK) - Oklahoma City, Fairview,||2|
|Oregon (OR) - Salem, Portland, Eugene||5|
|Pennsylvania (PA) - Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh||2|
|Rhode Island (RI) - Providence, Newport||2|
|South Carolina (SC) - Columbia, Charleston||1|
|South Dakota (SD) - Pierre, Sioux Falls, Rapid City||3|
|Tennessee (TN) - Nashville, Memphis||2|
|Texas (TX) - Austin, Houston, Dallas||3|
|Utah (UT) - Salt Lake City, St. George||3|
|Vermont (VT) - Montpelier, Burlington||3|
|Virginia (VA) - Richmond, Virginia Beach||2|
|Washington (WA) - Olympia, Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane||5|
|West Virginia (WV) - Charleston, Morgantown||2|
|Wisconsin (WI) - Madison, Milwaukee||2|
|Wyoming (WY) - Cheyenne, Jackson||4|
Disclaimer: All product descriptions and specifications provided in this description are intended as a guide only and are subject to change without notice. While we strive for accuracy, discrepancies or errors may be present. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
No posts found