About Propylene Glycol
- Synonyms: Propylene Glycol, 1,2-propanediol, 1,2-dihydroxypropane, methyl glycol
- INCI Name: Propylene Glycol
- CAS: 57-55-6
- Einecs: 200-338-0
- Viscosity: Thin liquid
- Solublity: Miscible
- Storage: Cool, dark dry area, air tight container preferred
- Appearance: Clear colorless liquid.
- Odor: Low to no odor
- Natural: Synthetic form of mineral oil.
- Packaging: 1 Lbs is a single jug, 24 Lb is a 4 x 6 lb, 480 lb is single drum
- Shelf life: Suggested retest date 1 year from purchase
Usage / Benefits
- Industries: Cosmetics and Personal Care, Food and Beverage, Pharmaceuticals, Plastics and Resins Manufacturing, Antifreeze and Coolant Manufacturing, Tobacco Products, Textiles, Animal Feed, Industrial Solvents, Printing Inks, Paints and Coatings, Detergents and Cleaning Products
- Applications: Skin Care Products, Hair Care Products, Moisturizers, Sunscreens, Shampoos, Deodorants, Hand Sanitizers, Lipsticks, Mouthwashes, Toothpastes, Food Flavoring and Coloring, Anti-Caking Agent, Emulsifier, Humectant, Preservatives in Animal Feed, Solvent for Pharmaceuticals, Plasticizer in Resins, Carrier in Fragrance Oils, Antifreeze in Hydraulic Fluids, Coolant in Refrigeration Systems, Solvent in Printing Inks, Additive in Paints and Coatings, Ingredient in Cleaning Products
- Benefits: Humectant Properties, Enhances Product Stability, Improves Freeze-Thaw Stability, Carrier for Active Ingredients, Low Toxicity, Solvent Capability, Enhances Product Texture and Absorption, Improves Skin Hydration, Enhances Flavor in Food Applications, Versatile Use in Industrial Applications
- Products Uses: Antifreeze and De-Icer Solutions, Solvent for Dyes and Resins, Skin Care Products, Hair Care Products, Cosmetics, Personal Care Products, Food Flavorings and Coloring, Pet Food Additive, Carrier for Medications, Moisture Preserving Agent, Tobacco Products, Industrial Coolant, Plasticizer in Manufacturing, Hydraulic and Brake Fluid, Functional Fluid in Hydraulic Systems, Textile Carrier
- Safety: Generally safe, however keep out of eyes and do not eat.
- Cautions: Not for ingestion, keep away from pets and children who may attempt to eat.
- External Use Only: Even if food grade, we do not provide items for ingestion, all of our items are for external use only.
Propylene Glycol (PG) is a versatile compound with a wide range of applications. In the realm of personal care and cosmetics, its properties have made it a popular ingredient for manufacturers and DIY enthusiasts alike. But what is Propylene Glycol, and why is it so prevalent in these industries?
What is Propylene Glycol?
Propylene Glycol is a synthetic, colorless, odorless liquid that belongs to the same chemical class as alcohol. It is known for its ability to absorb and retain water, making it a valuable component in many formulations. It is often used to keep products moist, stabilize volatile compounds, and enhance product spreadability on the skin.
Key Roles in Personal Care Products
In the vast world of personal care products, PG's roles are multifaceted:
- Humectant: PG has the ability to attract and hold moisture. This makes it an excellent ingredient in products like lotions, creams, and serums, where maintaining skin hydration is crucial.
- Solvent: Due to its miscibility with water and many organic compounds, PG is used as a solvent in many cosmetic formulations, aiding in the even distribution of ingredients.
- Skin Conditioning Agent: In many products, PG acts as a skin conditioning agent, leaving the skin feeling soft and smooth.
- Viscosity Decreasing Agent: In some formulations, PG is used to thin out products, ensuring they have the desired consistency and texture.
Application in Soap Making
Soap making, whether it's the traditional cold process method or the more modern melt and pour technique, often sees the inclusion of Propylene Glycol:
- Base Ingredient in Melt and Pour Soaps: Many melt and pour soap bases contain PG. It helps maintain the clarity of transparent soaps and ensures a smooth consistency for easier melting and molding.
- Humectant: Just like in skincare, PG attracts moisture in soap bars, ensuring they don't dry out over time.
- Enhanced Solubility: PG can act as a solubilizer, helping incorporate ingredients that might otherwise not mix well with the soap base.
Cosmetic Making Endeavors
The cosmetic industry, with its vast array of products, heavily relies on PG for various reasons:
- Foundation and Concealers: PG can be found in these products due to its ability to spread evenly on the skin, providing a smooth canvas.
- Lipsticks and Lip Balms: The moisture-retaining properties of PG prevent these products from drying out, ensuring they glide smoothly on the lips.
- Mascaras and Eyeliners: PG provides the right consistency, ensuring these products don't clump while offering ease of application.
- Shampoos and Conditioners: PG works as a hydration agent, ensuring hair remains soft and manageable post-wash.
Safety and Considerations
While Propylene Glycol is generally considered safe for use in personal care and cosmetic products, it's essential to note that some individuals might be sensitive to it. It's always recommended to do a patch test when trying out a new product containing PG, especially for those with sensitive skin. Moreover, it's crucial for manufacturers and DIYers to use it in recommended amounts to avoid potential irritations or sensitivities.
Propylene Glycol Uses
- Antifreeze and De-Icer Solutions: Used in automotive and industrial coolants to lower the freezing point.
- Solvent for Dyes and Resins: Acts as a solvent in various industrial processes.
- Hydraulic and Brake Fluid: Utilized as a functional fluid in hydraulic systems.
- Plasticizer in Manufacturing: Aids in softening plastics during the manufacturing process.
Personal Care and Cosmetics
- Skin Care Products: Acts as a moisturizing agent in lotions and creams.
- Hair Care Products: Found in shampoos and conditioners to improve texture.
- Cosmetics: Used in makeup products to improve consistency and feel.
- Food Flavorings and Coloring: Acts as a solvent for food flavorings and colorings.
- Pet Food Additive: Used in pet food formulations.
- Carrier for Medications: Utilized as a carrier in various pharmaceutical preparations.
- Moisture Preserving Agent: Employed to preserve moisture in various products.
- Tobacco Products: Used in the production of certain tobacco products.
Propylene Glycol Benefits
1. Humectant Properties
Propylene Glycol has the ability to retain and preserve moisture, making it a popular ingredient in cosmetics and personal care products to maintain hydration levels.
2. Enhances Product Stability
It acts as a solvent for many organic compounds and increases the stability of products, extending their shelf life.
3. Carrier Agent
It helps in distributing active ingredients evenly throughout a product, ensuring that they are effectively delivered to the skin or hair.
4. Enhances Skin Penetration
Propylene Glycol can enhance the absorption of certain ingredients into the skin, making products like creams and lotions more effective.
5. Low Toxicity
It is generally recognized as safe for use in personal care products and has a low risk of causing skin irritation or allergies in most people.
6. Versatility in Formulations
Its versatile nature allows it to be used in a variety of formulations ranging from creams, lotions, serums, to hair care products and deodorants.
7. Non-sticky Texture
Unlike some other humectants, Propylene Glycol does not leave a sticky residue on the skin, making it a preferred choice for many formulations.
8. Improves Freeze/Thaw Stability
In cosmetic formulations, it helps prevent products from freezing at lower temperatures and also aids in stabilizing products when thawing.
Propylene Glycol in Skincare
Propylene Glycol (PG) is a common ingredient in skincare products due to its versatile properties and benefits:
PG acts as a humectant, attracting and retaining moisture on the skin's surface. This helps to keep the skin hydrated and supple.
2. Penetration Enhancer
PG's ability to penetrate the skin's outer layer makes it effective in facilitating the absorption of other skincare ingredients.
3. Texture Improvement
It contributes to the texture of skincare formulations, providing a smooth and lightweight feel when applied to the skin.
PG can help stabilize formulations by preventing ingredients from separating and maintaining the overall integrity of the product.
As a solvent, PG is used to dissolve and blend various ingredients, helping to create well-mixed and consistent skincare products.
6. Sensitive Skin Considerations
While generally well-tolerated, individuals with sensitive skin may want to perform patch tests before using products with PG.
PG's compatibility with a wide range of skincare ingredients makes it a valuable tool for formulators in creating effective products.
Hydration and Formulation with Propylene Glycol
Propylene Glycol's humectant properties make it a popular choice in skincare products, contributing to hydration, penetration, and overall product performance.
Propylene Glycol in Hair Care
Propylene Glycol (PG) is commonly found in hair care products due to its versatile properties and benefits for hair health:
1. Moisture Retention
PG acts as a humectant, attracting and retaining moisture in the hair strands. This can help combat dryness and promote hydrated hair.
2. Conditioning Agent
It can contribute to hair conditioning by providing a soft and smooth texture, making the hair easier to manage and style.
3. Heat Protection
PG's ability to form a protective barrier on the hair can offer some level of heat protection when using styling tools.
4. Scalp Health
When used in shampoos and conditioners, PG can help maintain a healthy scalp by preventing excessive dryness and flakiness.
5. Product Penetration
PG's penetration-enhancing properties can assist in delivering beneficial ingredients deeper into the hair shaft, enhancing the effectiveness of hair care products.
6. Texture and Manageability
Hair products containing PG can contribute to improved hair texture, making hair more manageable, soft, and smooth.
7. Consideration for Hair Type
While generally safe for most hair types, individuals with specific hair concerns should consider consulting a professional before using products with PG.
8. Customized Formulations
PG's versatility allows formulators to create tailored hair care products that address various hair needs and concerns.
Healthy Hair with Propylene Glycol
Propylene Glycol's ability to retain moisture, condition, protect, and enhance product performance makes it a valuable ingredient in hair care formulations.
Who is Soapgoods?
We are proud to present a diverse and extensive selection of soap making supplies including soap molds as well as melt and pour soap bases. Are you looking for something unique, something hard to find? Wondering Where to buy Witch Hazel Distillate - Alcohol Free? We are a fantastic source!
We carry it all and many other fantastic but hard to find items at great wholesale prices, we are the one-stop-shop, you can find everything you need here, even bulk Xanthan Gum Right here at Soapgoods
We know you have choices, that's why we work harder, providing better quality, faster shipping and a wide selection of items in practical sizes for any application. When you need to make a purchase and need it delivered quickly, look to us to provide you the service you need. We even have Wholesale Yogurt Powder, in small and large builds sizes, either way, you can get our best direct to consumer pricing. Plus we ship it out the next business days. and will ship the next business day.
Where else can you do all your shopping in one place? When you need to make a purchase and get it delivered quickly. Buy Zinc Oxide Powder? Right here
When you are looking for quality personal care products, cosmetics and soap making supplies, be sure to visit our online store for Acacia Gum Enjoy our premium quality ingredients and super fast shipping times.
Read our Real Reviews from Google and Bizrate
100% Real Reviews (we cannot edit, create or delete reviews) From Google, Click here -> Real SoapGoods Reviews
See more Real Reviews (we cannot edit, create or delete reviews) from Third Party Watchdog Bizrate Real SoapGoods Reviews (Click Here and Scroll Down)
Read hundreds of real testimonials from over a decade of service. SoapGoods Testimonials.
How Fast Can I get it?
We Guarantee Your order ships out the same or next business day! This means in the South East you will have your order in 1 to 3 business days, in the North East normally 3 to 4 days and in the West normally 4 to 5 days. For full details on shipping and processing times please see our expected delivery times.
These times are based on business days, not including weekends or holidays.
FedEx Delivery Map
USPS Delivery Map
Typical Delivery Times to Major US Cities
|Major Cities||Total Business Days +1 / -1|
|Alabama (AL) - Montgomery, Birmingham||1|
|Alaska (AK) - Juneau, Anchorage||7|
|Arizona (AZ) - Phoenix, Tucson||4|
|Arkansas (AR) - Little Rock, Fayetteville||2|
|California (CA) - Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento, San Jose||4|
|Colorado (CO) - Denver, Colorado Springs||3|
|Connecticut (CT) - Hartford, New Haven||2|
|Delaware (DE) - Dover, Wilmington, Newark||2|
|Florida (FL) - Tallahassee, Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, Destin||2|
|Georgia (GA) - Atlanta, Savannah, Augusta, Athens||1|
|Hawaii (HI) - Honolulu, Kailua||7|
|Idaho (ID) - Boise, Coeur d'Alene||4|
|Illinois (IL) - Springfield, Chicago, Peoria, Rockford||2|
|Indiana (IN) - Indianapolis, Fort Wayne||2|
|Iowa (IA) - Des Moines, Cedar Rapids||2|
|Kansas (KS) - Topeka, Wichita, Kansas City||2|
|Kentucky (KY) - Frankfort, Louisville, Lexington||2|
|Louisiana (LA) - Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Lafayette||2|
|Maine (ME) - Augusta, Portland, Bangor||3|
|Maryland (MD) - Annapolis, Baltimore||2|
|Massachusetts (MA) - Boston, Cambridge, Worcester||2|
|Michigan (MI) - Lansing, Detroit, Grand Rapids||2|
|Minnesota (MN) - St. Paul, Minneapolis, Duluth||3|
|Mississippi (MS) - Jackson, Biloxi, Hattiesburg||1|
|Missouri (MO) - Jefferson City, St Louis, Kansas City||2|
|Montana (MT) - Helena, Billings||4|
|Nebraska (NE) - Lincoln, Omaha||2|
|Nevada (NV) - Carson City, Las Vegas, Reno||4|
|New Hampshire (NH) - Concord, Manchester, Portsmouth||2|
|New Jersey (NJ) - Trenton, Newark, Jersey City||2|
|New Mexico (NM) - Santa Fe, Alburquerque||3|
|New York (NY) - Albany, New York, Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse, Niagara Falls, Ithaca||3|
|North Carolina (NC) - Raleigh, Charlotte||2|
|North Dakota (ND) - Bismarck, Fargo||3|
|Ohio (OH) - Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati||2|
|Oklahoma (OK) - Oklahoma City, Fairview,||2|
|Oregon (OR) - Salem, Portland, Eugene||5|
|Pennsylvania (PA) - Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh||2|
|Rhode Island (RI) - Providence, Newport||2|
|South Carolina (SC) - Columbia, Charleston||1|
|South Dakota (SD) - Pierre, Sioux Falls, Rapid City||3|
|Tennessee (TN) - Nashville, Memphis||2|
|Texas (TX) - Austin, Houston, Dallas||3|
|Utah (UT) - Salt Lake City, St. George||3|
|Vermont (VT) - Montpelier, Burlington||3|
|Virginia (VA) - Richmond, Virginia Beach||2|
|Washington (WA) - Olympia, Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane||5|
|West Virginia (WV) - Charleston, Morgantown||2|
|Wisconsin (WI) - Madison, Milwaukee||2|
|Wyoming (WY) - Cheyenne, Jackson||4|
Disclaimer: All product descriptions and specifications provided in this description are intended as a guide only and are subject to change without notice. While we strive for accuracy, discrepancies or errors may be present. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
No posts found