About Polysorbate 80
- Synonyms: Polysorbate 80
- INCI Name: Polysorbate 80
- CAS: 9005-65-6
- Einecs: 500-019-9
- Viscosity: Thick liquid, like dishwashing liquid
- Solublity: Miscible in water, It is reported to be miscible with alcohol, cottonseed oil, corn oil, ethyl acetate, methanol, and toluene, but insoluble in mineral oil.
- Storage: Cool, dark dry area, air tight container preferred
- Appearance: Amber-colored, viscous liquid
- Odor: Low to no scent
- Natural: Synthetic, a derivative of sorbitol and oleic acid
- Packaging: 1 Lbs is a single plastic jar, 7 Lb is a single plastic jar, 48 lb is 4 x 7 lb jugs. 420 lb is a steel drum
- Shelf life: Suggested retest date 1 year from purchase
Usage / Benefits
- Industries: Cosmetics, Personal Care, Soap Making, Hair Care, Skin Care, Beauty Products, Bath Products, Massage Oils, Sun Care, Fragrance Production, Essential Oil Formulations, Emulsion Manufacturing
- Applications: Cosmetics, skin care products, hair care products, bath products, makeup bases and foundations, fragrances, anti-aging treatments, sunscreens, baby care products, eye shadows, mascaras, lipsticks, deodorants, shaving products, creams and lotions, ointments, salves, medical gels, oral care products, veterinary products, food and beverage emulsification, agricultural emulsifiers, textile industry, paper industry, lubrication applications
- Benefits: Emulsification, Enhanced Ingredient Solubility, Improved Product Stability, Skin Conditioning, Improved Texture in Formulations, Increased Absorption of Ingredients, Non-Irritating to Skin, Compatible with a Variety of Ingredients, Helps in Product Spreadability, Mildness in Formulations
- Products Uses: Emulsifying agent in foods, stabilizer in ice cream and frozen desserts, dispersing agent in pharmaceuticals, solubilizer in cosmetic creams and lotions, wetting agent in textile industry, viscosity modifier in coatings, defoaming agent in fermentations, lubricant in machinery, solubilizing agent in oral and topical medications, ingredient in hair care products, component in bath oils and gels, formulation aid in eyeshadow and mascara, thickening agent in liquid soaps and body washes, emollient in skin care products, surfactant in cleaning products, binder in tablets and capsules.
- Safety: Generally safe, however keep out of eyes and do not eat.
- Cautions: Not for ingestion, keep away from pets and children who may attempt to eat.
- External Use Only: Even if food grade, we do not provide items for ingestion, all of our items are for external use only.
Polysorbate 80, often referred to simply as "Tween 80", is a common ingredient found in a wide variety of personal care and cosmetic products. Recognized for its emulsifying properties, this nonionic surfactant has become an essential component in formulations that require the mixing of oils and water, ensuring that the ingredients meld seamlessly for optimal performance.
Origin and Composition
Polysorbate 80 is derived from polyethoxylated sorbitan and oleic acid. Sorbitan is a compound derived from the dehydration of sorbitol, a sugar alcohol. When combined with oleic acid, and then ethoxylated, it forms the stable compound Polysorbate 80. Its structure allows it to have an affinity for both water and oils, making it an effective emulsifying agent.
The Role of Polysorbate 80 in Personal Care Products
In the realm of personal care and cosmetics, the ability to mix oil and water phases is vital. This is where Polysorbate 80 shines. Here are its primary functions:
- Emulsifying Agent: As mentioned, its primary role is to act as an emulsifier. It assists in blending the water and oil components of a product, preventing them from separating and ensuring consistency.
- Solubilizer: It aids in the dissolution of certain ingredients, enhancing the overall solubility of formulations.
- Texture Enhancer: In lotions, creams, and other similar products, Polysorbate 80 helps achieve a smooth and creamy texture that's pleasant to apply.
- Stabilizer: It contributes to the stability of formulations, ensuring that the product remains effective and consistent over time.
Benefits in Skincare and Haircare
Beyond its technical roles, Polysorbate 80 offers several benefits when applied to the skin and hair:
- Skin Conditioning: It leaves the skin feeling soft and conditioned without a greasy residue.
- Enhanced Ingredient Delivery: Due to its solubilizing properties, it can help improve the delivery of other active ingredients in a formulation, ensuring they penetrate effectively.
- Mildness: It's generally considered non-irritating, making it suitable for a variety of skin types, including sensitive skin.
Usage in Soap Making
In the world of soap making, Polysorbate 80 is particularly prized. For artisans creating bath bombs or oil-based bath products, this ingredient ensures that oils disperse evenly in the bathwater rather than pooling on the surface. This not only creates a more luxurious bathing experience but also reduces the risk of slips and falls due to oil slicks in the tub.
Compatibility and Versatility
One of the standout qualities of Polysorbate 80 is its broad compatibility with various ingredients, from essential oils to fragrances and dyes. Its neutral nature allows it to be incorporated into a wide range of formulations without causing reactions or reducing the efficacy of other ingredients. For formulators, this versatility is invaluable, allowing for creativity and innovation without compromising on product quality.
Polysorbate 80 Uses
Cosmetics and Personal Care Products
In cosmetics and personal care items, Polysorbate 80 acts as a solubilizer and emollient in creams, lotions, hair care products, bath oils, gels, and liquid soaps. It enhances the texture and appearance of these products.
Polysorbate 80 is a versatile ingredient used as a dispersing agent, solubilizing agent, and viscosity modifier in oral and topical medications, and as a binder in tablets and capsules.
As a wetting agent, Polysorbate 80 is employed in the textile industry to help in dyeing and finishing processes.
Coatings and Industrial Applications
In the realm of coatings and industrial applications, Polysorbate 80 serves as a viscosity modifier, defoaming agent, and lubricant, playing an essential role in various manufacturing processes.
Polysorbate 80 acts as a surfactant in cleaning products, enhancing their ability to dissolve and remove dirt and grease.
Polysorbate 80 Benefits
Polysorbate 80 is renowned for its ability to create stable emulsions, which prevents the separation of different ingredients in products like creams, lotions, and food items. This ensures a consistent texture and quality.
It helps in the solubilization of oils and other hydrophobic substances in water-based formulations. This attribute is beneficial in personal care products, allowing for the creation of clear and stable solutions.
Enhances Product Appearance and Texture
By acting as an emollient and texture enhancer, Polysorbate 80 improves the sensory attributes of products, making them more appealing and pleasant to use.
Safe and Non-Toxic
Polysorbate 80 is generally considered safe for human consumption and use. Its non-toxic nature makes it a preferred choice in various industries, including food and cosmetics.
Compatibility with Other Ingredients
This compound's ability to mix well with various other ingredients, both hydrophilic and hydrophobic, makes it highly adaptable and valuable in diverse applications.
Its wide array of applications across different industries, from food to pharmaceuticals to cosmetics, underlines the versatility and multifunctional nature of Polysorbate 80.
Polysorbate 80 in Skincare
Polysorbate 80 is a versatile ingredient used in skincare products for various purposes:
1. Emulsifying Agent
Polysorbate 80 acts as an emulsifier, helping to blend oil and water-based ingredients in skincare formulations. It aids in creating stable and consistent textures.
2. Enhancing Solubility
It improves the solubility of hydrophobic (oil-soluble) substances in water-based products, making it easier to incorporate active ingredients.
3. Texture and Feel
Polysorbate 80 contributes to the smooth texture and pleasant feel of skincare products, preventing them from feeling overly greasy or sticky.
4. Dispersing Ingredients
It assists in dispersing other ingredients evenly throughout a formulation, ensuring that active components are distributed uniformly.
Polysorbate 80 helps maintain the stability of formulations, preventing ingredients from separating or undergoing undesirable changes over time.
It is compatible with a wide range of ingredients, making it suitable for a variety of skincare products, including creams, lotions, serums, and more.
Polysorbate 80 is generally considered safe and non-irritating for topical use, making it suitable for sensitive skin types.
Benefits of Polysorbate 80 in Skincare
Polysorbate 80's emulsifying and stabilizing properties contribute to the effectiveness, texture, and overall quality of skincare products, enhancing the user experience.
Who is Soapgoods?
We are proud to present a diverse and extensive selection of soap making supplies including soap molds as well as melt and pour soap bases. Are you looking for something unique, something hard to find? Wondering Where to buy Witch Hazel Distillate - Alcohol Free? We are a fantastic source!
We carry it all and many other fantastic but hard to find items at great wholesale prices, we are the one-stop-shop, you can find everything you need here, even bulk Xanthan Gum Right here at Soapgoods
We know you have choices, that's why we work harder, providing better quality, faster shipping and a wide selection of items in practical sizes for any application. When you need to make a purchase and need it delivered quickly, look to us to provide you the service you need. We even have Wholesale Yogurt Powder, in small and large builds sizes, either way, you can get our best direct to consumer pricing. Plus we ship it out the next business days. and will ship the next business day.
Where else can you do all your shopping in one place? When you need to make a purchase and get it delivered quickly. Buy Zinc Oxide Powder? Right here
When you are looking for quality personal care products, cosmetics and soap making supplies, be sure to visit our online store for Acacia Gum Enjoy our premium quality ingredients and super fast shipping times.
Read our Real Reviews from Google and Bizrate
100% Real Reviews (we cannot edit, create or delete reviews) From Google, Click here -> Real SoapGoods Reviews
See more Real Reviews (we cannot edit, create or delete reviews) from Third Party Watchdog Bizrate Real SoapGoods Reviews (Click Here and Scroll Down)
Read hundreds of real testimonials from over a decade of service. SoapGoods Testimonials.
How Fast Can I get it?
We Guarantee Your order ships out the same or next business day! This means in the South East you will have your order in 1 to 3 business days, in the North East normally 3 to 4 days and in the West normally 4 to 5 days. For full details on shipping and processing times please see our expected delivery times.
These times are based on business days, not including weekends or holidays.
FedEx Delivery Map
USPS Delivery Map
Typical Delivery Times to Major US Cities
|Major Cities||Total Business Days +1 / -1|
|Alabama (AL) - Montgomery, Birmingham||1|
|Alaska (AK) - Juneau, Anchorage||7|
|Arizona (AZ) - Phoenix, Tucson||4|
|Arkansas (AR) - Little Rock, Fayetteville||2|
|California (CA) - Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento, San Jose||4|
|Colorado (CO) - Denver, Colorado Springs||3|
|Connecticut (CT) - Hartford, New Haven||2|
|Delaware (DE) - Dover, Wilmington, Newark||2|
|Florida (FL) - Tallahassee, Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, Destin||2|
|Georgia (GA) - Atlanta, Savannah, Augusta, Athens||1|
|Hawaii (HI) - Honolulu, Kailua||7|
|Idaho (ID) - Boise, Coeur d'Alene||4|
|Illinois (IL) - Springfield, Chicago, Peoria, Rockford||2|
|Indiana (IN) - Indianapolis, Fort Wayne||2|
|Iowa (IA) - Des Moines, Cedar Rapids||2|
|Kansas (KS) - Topeka, Wichita, Kansas City||2|
|Kentucky (KY) - Frankfort, Louisville, Lexington||2|
|Louisiana (LA) - Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Lafayette||2|
|Maine (ME) - Augusta, Portland, Bangor||3|
|Maryland (MD) - Annapolis, Baltimore||2|
|Massachusetts (MA) - Boston, Cambridge, Worcester||2|
|Michigan (MI) - Lansing, Detroit, Grand Rapids||2|
|Minnesota (MN) - St. Paul, Minneapolis, Duluth||3|
|Mississippi (MS) - Jackson, Biloxi, Hattiesburg||1|
|Missouri (MO) - Jefferson City, St Louis, Kansas City||2|
|Montana (MT) - Helena, Billings||4|
|Nebraska (NE) - Lincoln, Omaha||2|
|Nevada (NV) - Carson City, Las Vegas, Reno||4|
|New Hampshire (NH) - Concord, Manchester, Portsmouth||2|
|New Jersey (NJ) - Trenton, Newark, Jersey City||2|
|New Mexico (NM) - Santa Fe, Alburquerque||3|
|New York (NY) - Albany, New York, Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse, Niagara Falls, Ithaca||3|
|North Carolina (NC) - Raleigh, Charlotte||2|
|North Dakota (ND) - Bismarck, Fargo||3|
|Ohio (OH) - Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati||2|
|Oklahoma (OK) - Oklahoma City, Fairview,||2|
|Oregon (OR) - Salem, Portland, Eugene||5|
|Pennsylvania (PA) - Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh||2|
|Rhode Island (RI) - Providence, Newport||2|
|South Carolina (SC) - Columbia, Charleston||1|
|South Dakota (SD) - Pierre, Sioux Falls, Rapid City||3|
|Tennessee (TN) - Nashville, Memphis||2|
|Texas (TX) - Austin, Houston, Dallas||3|
|Utah (UT) - Salt Lake City, St. George||3|
|Vermont (VT) - Montpelier, Burlington||3|
|Virginia (VA) - Richmond, Virginia Beach||2|
|Washington (WA) - Olympia, Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane||5|
|West Virginia (WV) - Charleston, Morgantown||2|
|Wisconsin (WI) - Madison, Milwaukee||2|
|Wyoming (WY) - Cheyenne, Jackson||4|
Disclaimer: All product descriptions and specifications provided in this description are intended as a guide only and are subject to change without notice. While we strive for accuracy, discrepancies or errors may be present. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
No posts found